Friday, September 12, 2008

This Country

"At the point where the Caribbean meets South America on its North Atlantic seaboard lies an almost unknown, but incredibly wonderful land of unspoilt beauty, where the virgin rainforest leads to the Amazon Basin. Where the jungle is still unexplored, rivers uncharted and mountains yet to be climbed." (Unknown, www.guyana.org)

I love this country. Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself, but then I forget why I doubted. I love this country. From the mighty Kaieteur to the rolling green savannahs… From the refreshing ocean breeze to the red dirt roads… From the sweet pineapple to the fresh curry and roti… From the cherry juice to the rum and coconut water… I love this country.

But when people ask me what I like most about Guyana, I answer first the “wonderful people” followed of course by the fruit, food and natural beauty. It’s the answer they want to hear, but it’s also the truth.

When I ask myself on those horribly frustrating and stressful days “why the hell am I still here?” I need only to have a phone call from a friend, a kind word from a co-worker, a smile from a stranger at the clinic, a random story from a taxi driver, a chat with my favourite server at Oasis or Windies, a small child wave hello and want to hold my hand, to remember why I’m still here.

When on those rollercoaster days I feel like I am wasting my time and energy in a country where they seem content to do the minimum, I need only to open my eyes and see those individuals trying to run a clinic as best they can with limited resources and challenges they can’t control, watch a person manage too many program because they’re understaffed, talk to a taxi driver who works until the wee hours of the morning and wakes to wash his car before work the next day, to realize I’m not alone in wanting to do my best for this country and my life here.

When I feel lost and overwhelmed, I know just where to find a hug or calming atmosphere, I know who can make me feel better just with his presence, I know where to get a good laugh, where to find a shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen, and if all else fails, I know who serves the best chocolate cake or strongest rum drink.

I’ve found my home away from home, an Oasis, new friends, adopted family, and love… I didn’t expect it, I wasn’t looking for it, but it found me. I love this country.

No comments: