Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Perfect Saturday

Yesterday was my perfect Saturday in Guyana.

I slept in a little bit, enjoyed a few cartoons, showered and got dressed at my own pace. I look at the pile of GHIS related material that I could review again and do some more planning, but make the better decision to take the day for myself. I contemplated tidying my little apartment and decided that the dishes could wait for another day...

Around noon, I met Anu at the market (Stabroek, just to clarify). It's my favourite Saturday routine. If I were brave, I'd take the minibus, but as it is, I have the taxi driver drop me off at the front and I consider myself pretty brave to walk alone from the front to the very back of the market. Always a few comments from vendors wanting to know if I'm shopping and of course, men wanting me to know how beautiful I look! When I get to their stall, I love to see Anu and her dad's smiling faces pop up from behind the counter. I admire all her family's gold jewellery, dream of what I would buy if I were a millionaire and pick out my own beautiful gold jewellery set (an investment, but in my price range). It's taken me a few visits to decide what I wanted - everything is so beautifully hand crafted, shiny yellow gold and it's just so hard to pick your favourite!

Yesterday we mixed up the routine a bit and took a journey to Giftland to buy blank CDs - gotta love a little trip on a minibus, I'm always thankful that I survive. We walked back from Giftland to the market area. It's a bustle of activity in "downtown" central. A quick stop at the bank to pick up some cash (as quick as it can be to visit the only Scotiabank in the area in prime shopping time) then we head over to the Lotto place. I love going to Lotto. I'm not sure if Anu's dad's tickets ever really win (I think he's gotten a free ticket here or there since I've started coming), but I love checking the numbers, enjoying the air conditioning, dreaming of winning Guyanese millions and often do a little dance as we wait in the line - I think it amuses the security guard and I just can't help myself when the music is good.

Next stop is Hack's Halaal. The place where Anu introduced me to dhal puri with mango sour and you can find all the tasty treats like pine tarts, cakes, pastries, curries, and roti at a great price! Anu has a list of goodies that she usually picks up and by this time after walking in the sun, we both need a drink - Coke for Anu, water for me :)

I leave the market and usually spend the afternoon at home with a book or a movie on the Hallmark channel, but yesterday I was lucky enough to have a date with Samara, Wallis' daughter. While her son was at Scouts, I looked after Samara to give Wallis some time to work. We made some delicious cakes with our imagination, watered the plants for Ms P and took some time to be pirates and search for buried treasure in the yard. Wallis still needed some time after Lee was done with scouts so the three of us went to Pegasus and enjoyed the new playground!

When I finally got home, I was pretty exhausted from entertaining and keeping an eye on a 4 and 9 year old, but when the call came from my Canadian intern friends, I couldn't resist. I met them at White Castle fish shop for a drink (after an energizing shower and a change of clothes - didn't want to bring the sand from the playground with me!). We were planning our evening when I discovered they hadn't been to Latino’s yet! I can leave Guyana now knowing that they have been to all my favourite places. I introduced them to my favourite, rum and coconut water, and showed them the potential for dancing at Latino's (though strangely the dance floor was dead). I found the energy to somehow beat Cinderella's curfew, but found a space in the first taxi home. A great way to start a Sunday... :)

I appreciate the beauty of this country, enjoy taking new adventures, but there is something about a weekend routine with family and friends that makes you feel more at home.

Sorry for the late posting. I realized that I had written this post, saved it and apparently never posted it!

No comments: