Sunday, September 21, 2008

September Heat

September is hot. Really hot. I thought I was sick or something because of my difficulty to tolerate the heat. I used to walk to work every day, now most days I call a car. I sweat just by standing still. But I should known that the sun and my position close to the equator would explain it all! In Canada, when fall officially starts, summer is ending because the earth is rotating away from the sun – so my position near the equator is getting direct sun before the start of summer in the southern hemisphere. The days are getting shorter again and the sun is setting sooner…

Scientific Explanation:
"The Earth is at the autumnal equinox on or about September 21st. As the Earth revolves around the Sun, it gets positioned such that the Sun is directly over the equator. Basically, the Sun's energy is in balance between the northern and southern hemispheres. " (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/astro/season.php)

Bottomline: when you're essentially caught between the two hemispheres, there is no balance of the sun's energy...

It's HOT!!

No comments: