Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Cinema

I kid you not. I have been to the cinema in Georgetown. Potentially the only cinema in Guyana... And I survived.

I've actually been four times. I made the mistake of calling my parents the first time - being so excited to have an activity besides eating or drinking out on the town, and I might have mentioned that the cinema is on the "no-go" list for PeaceCorps volunteers, right up there with Stabroek market, but not as serious as Blue Iguana. Not the brightest idea, but I think they felt better after I told them about the excellent service of the guard who watches you from the moment you walk through the doors at 5:45pm through the movie and right until you get into the car at the end of the show!

The first film I went to see was Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns. Neither Priya and I really knew what the film was about, but it was entertaining in that dramatic family comedy way with a little bit of a love story. The cost is $300 per show and though there is no popcorn, the lovely ticket lady does have delicious egg balls with mango sour for sale. The theatre has three levels and we watched the show from the balcony. The theatre is completely dark though it’s probably best that the lights aren’t on. The creaks and squeaks made me a little nervous and I made sure that I knew where all my exits were in case of fire or some other unforeseen circumstance. The only problem with the evening was the attack of the mosquitoes happening on my legs as I watched that I didn’t notice until the end – probably the most bites since I arrived last year and incredibly itchy!

The second film we saw was What Happens in Vegas with some new Canadian friends. I felt much more confident though a couple of big trucks drove by and I kind of felt the building shake which makes one a little tense, but I protected the first timers. Highlight of course was the blackout in an already scary theatre which wasn't as bad as it could have been because I had good company. And Skittles to calm me.

The third film was Hancock. Will Smith. Big screen. Need I say more? You'd brave the theatre too. I'd even seen it twice before...

And the final film that I survived was The Happening by M. Night Shyamalan. I don't know how Priya convinced me to go. I watch his movies (if I watch them at all!) in the day time, with the lights on, with either my mom or a male friend to hold me. Thankfully it wasn't as dark as some of his movies, but obviously had the same scary and thought-provoking features.

I don't know if I'll get to see another film before I leave, but without a doubt, I have enjoyed my Georgetown cinematic experiences.

No comments: