Monday, September 15, 2008

Editorial Letter

I enjoyed reading this letter to the editor in the papers this morning - kind of a perfect day for me to read the paper as I tend to avoid them because of the violent stories and images used. It was written by the Honourable Minister of Health Dr. Leslie Ramsammy.



Can you please spare me a moment to be a proud Guyanese?

I have always been proud to be Guyanese. I have always had an abiding optimism in the future of my country. I believe in the goodness of my country and my sisters and brothers. Even in bad times, there are so many positive things that I see and so many of my sisters and brothers who make me proud. I am grateful that Guyana, with all its problems and with so many constraints, global and local, continues to demonstrate resiliency and maintain a promise of greatness. Over the last several weeks and over the past few years, I have had many reasons to feel proud. I feel compelled to bare my soul today so that my friends, my sisters and brothers see my pride in my country.

So what exactly compelled me to speak out at this time? My tolerance and patience were exhausted this past week. After a long period of trying to be very tolerant and remembering we live in a free and democratic country in which we ensure space for all kinds of views and opinions, my tolerance finally was exhausted.

There are commentators and “experts” who have all the answers. There are those who believe that as long as you serve in this Government you have no integrity and no contribution to make. Even these persons have not exhausted my patience! But I must confess that those who constantly and relentlessly seem to want to convince us that there is nothing good about Guyana, that Guyana is cursed, that other than themselves, there is no good person in Guyana, that Guyana is not going anywhere, have finally drove me over the edge and have moved me to respond. My short response first is enough is enough, stop it!

I would be dishonest if I were to do the same in an opposite way, that is, in the same forceful way to equally try to convince everyone that only good things happen in Guyana and that only good people live in Guyana, that there is no corruption anywhere in our country. There are many things and many people who should make us mad. Some things that are done in the name of the government should make us mad as hell! Corruption occurs in government and in the private sector, in NGOs. There are many bad things which happen in Guyana and which should make us bow our heads in shame. For sure we have our share of bad people.

There is no shame or hurt, or anything wrong, in persons dedicating their lives to expose these wrong doings and incompetent actions in our society. Indeed, for those who want to dedicate their lives in highlighting these wrong things, the things that bring shame to our country and our people, it is truly a noble choice. This should not exhaust our tolerance and, quite to the contrary, this should generate feelings of gratitude. But when this is done with an attitude and with a tone that nothing good happens in Guyana, it is unbalanced and unfair and it is ugly. It is dishonest and it exposes a wicked agenda.

I do not want to make an exhaustive list, and I do not want to go too far back. I want you to see just a few reasons why I am unapologetically a proud Guyanese. I am no “yes” person. I am not beholden to anyone.

When many here and around the Caribbean thought we were a risk to host world cup cricket, Guyana hosted a quality leg of the world cup series. I felt pride in the way Guyanese behaved, the way Guyanese came out and supported world cup cricket and in the way we were able to bring Guyana to a state of readiness. Many were surprised. I was not. Together with the majority of Guyanese, we showed everyone we were a capable people, bringing off a world cup cricket series with competence and with much zest. We flew the Golden Arrow Head in a way that said to the world “WE ARE GUYANESE, PROUD GUYANESE!”

Similarly, we have just concluded the hosting of CARIFESTA. Really, which one of us cannot be proud of the way Guyana responded in being the most hospitable of hosts? This was the largest ever CARIFESTA. This was a quality CARIFESTA. If CARIFESTA 1 set a standard for CARICOM countries to emulate, CARIFESTA 10 has re-calibrated the standards for which CARICOM countries must strive. There was celebration, there was joy. But there was also a robust dignity that oozed from Guyanese of all walks of life. I was glistening with pride.

Then there is Shivnarine Chanderpal. Here is an unassuming, quiet, humble Guyanese. But he is the #1 batsman in the world. He is now the cricketer of the year! Can you imagine that anyone of us would not be lighted up with pride! And lest I be accused of gender bias, we should not forget the pride with which Nicolete Fernandes, Aliana Pompey and Marianne Burnett represent Guyana and the pride they allow us to feel as Guyanese.

I remember how many of us stood with tears in our eyes and filed with patriotic pride when the International Tribunal on the Laws of the Seas ruled in Guyana’s favor in our sea borders dispute with Suriname earlier in the year. In this case, Guyanese could not help feeling pride for the boldness the government demonstrated in taking the dispute to the Tribunal. In particular, no one could have denied that the courage and leadership of President Bharrat Jagdeo were pivotal factors in this genuine Guyanese success story.

And I must relate the immense pride I felt when I participated in the Economic Partnership Agreement Consultation that took place last week at the International Convention Center. I saw Guyanese of all walks of life, Guyanese of different political parties, from the private sector and trades unions, from faith-based organizations, from NGOs, and Guyanese with a history of political and social differences, Guyanese with an acrimonious past, come together to raise their voices against the powerful European Union. And I was filled with pride to see our President being the Guyanese leader, a leader for all of our people.

President Bharrat Jagdeo demonstrated a keen understanding of the EPA, and explained with great clarity, with passion, with quiet confidence why the EPA is not a beneficial tool for Guyana, why the EPA is nothing more than a re-colonization instrument for the Europeans. There were great admiration for the young President, even by persons who have major differences with him and with whom he has had many unpleasant confrontations. It’s not the first time, but this was a moment when Guyanese felt genuine pride for our President. I know of no one in Guyana and in the Caribbean who could more clearly articulate the downside of the EPA than President Bharrat Jagdeo. My pride for Bharrat Jagdeo, our President, was not merely as a Minister in his Cabinet. It was as a simple Guyanese.

Every day I pass Guyanese craftsmen and women weaving their magic and bringing such enormous pride to our people. Our farmers are the best in the world. We produce the best sugar in the world. We might be a poor country, but more than 95 % of our children are protected against some of the world’s most devastating diseases. We have been able to reduce maternal and infant mortality by half in the last 15 years. It is ordinary nurses and simple health care providers in our towns and villages, in our remote communities, who are the heroes and heroines. I am eternally grateful and they make me so proud to be a Guyanese.

Lest I fall for the temptation of preparing a laundry list of pride factors, let me stop for the moment. I believe I have made my point for now. While there might be some bad things and while there may be some bad people in our country, there are many positive, uplifting things to make us proud to be Guyanese.

It’s simply reckless to deny there are things which make me stand with my head held high and beaming with pride. It’s wicked to portray a picture of total degradation, of hopelessness, of shame, of a country devoid of anything good. When we cannot bring ourselves, even for a moment to recognize the many things that dignify our nation, it must mean we have some mischievous, unholy agenda.

Please give me a break and allow me some time to savor my good fortune of being a Guyanese. I am intelligent enough to see wrong things and I am committed to want to change these wrongs. I see bad things, unacceptable things and I am appalled, even sometimes from within the government structure. These things disappoint me and make me reel with anger.

But I will rather die than not to acknowledge the good, the dignified, proud things that we accomplish, as individuals and as a Guyanese nation every day! So to the critics, can you spare me a moment to be a proud Guyanese?
Dr. LESLIE RAMSAMMY

http://www.guyanachronicle.com/letters.html#Anchor-26242

No comments: