Friday, September 12, 2008

Land of Many Waters

I found this piece on a website. I am not sure of its author and I feel that it was not created by the website owner because I have seen the first paragraph on other websites, but I thought I'd share the picture it draws....
(http://www.wilderness-explorers.com/highligh.htm)

I lie at a point where the Caribbean meets South America on its North Atlantic seaboard, an almost unknown, but incredibly wonderful land of unspoilt beauty. Where the virgin rainforest leads to the Amazon Basin. Where the Jungle is still unexplored, rivers uncharted and mountains yet to be climbed. I am called Guyana: Land of Many Waters.

Here the Jaguar still roams my forest, and in my rivers - the Giant River Otter, the Black Caiman and the Arapaima, the largest fresh water fish in the world still swim. I am refuge to the Harpy Eagle and the Hoatzin. I offer 90 miles of Shell Beach to the Oliver Ridley, Leatherback, Green and Hawksbill turtles to nest so that their species may survive. My birdlife is spectacular, there are over 800 species which include the protected Scarlet Macaw, the Red-billed and Toco Toucans and the magnificent Guianan Cock-of-the-rock.

To discover my beauty, travel with me to my famous waterfalls - the majestic and breathtaking Kaieteur, five times the height of Niagra. In honour of its majesty I have placed a rainbow to arch eternally over the mist-covered boulders of the gorge. Here, mystical folklore tell legendary tales of the old chief Kai sacrificing himself over the falls to save his tribe.

Come further with me across the tree tops, over cloud-covered mountains and onto rolling savannah where Orinduik Falls cascades down gigantic steps of Jasper along the Brazilian border.

Come to this land travelled by Evelyn Waugh, David Attenborough, Gerald Durrell, Michael Swan, where the Macusi and Wapishana tribes traded curare poison and arrow canes for flint with the Wai Wai. Where Sir Walter Raleigh came in search of El Dorado and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was inspired to write his classic "The Lost World".

Come, to where I am rolling savannah, sliced by creeks, broken by hills rising suddenly from the plain, my skyline etched by the mythic mountain of Shiriri. Cattle country, horse country... manes and tails streaming as they surge across the flatlands. Where tall termite cities rise from the grass to be dwarfed by the blue Kanukus. Far horizons of sun scorched plains, broken by shrub, bush, swamp and palm, a scattering of ranches and Amerindian villages. Vacqueros riding barefoot in the stirrup, whistling lassos through the hot air and showing off at rodeo.

Come to me, I am a timeless paradise. The heartbeat of the forest can be felt in me as you explore my many faces. I am the adventure of a lifetime, within me there is a diversity of wildlife, an immense variety of landscapes, an unspoilt wonder. Feel the incredible harmony of nature whisper across your heart. Come, I am an experience you will never forget. I am Guyana.

No comments: