Sunday, September 14, 2008

Santa Mission

I’ve always wanted to visit Santa Mission and as my time is coming to an end, I was feeling the pressure. I had decided that I was going to go yesterday and apparently the organizers of Amerindian Heritage Month had decided that Santa Mission was going to be their Amerindian Village for the celebrations and yesterday was going to be the big celebration!!

Luckily, I had a PeaceCorps friend on the inside who instructed me how to get there and with a little word of mouth, I ended up traveling with seven other people. The adventure started at my house at 7am where we took a car to the bus park in front of Stabroek and were violently hustled from one bus to another. Hustling is how mini bus conductors get passengers, but this was my first experience leading people on to a mini bus (and not being the one led) – and being physically hustled where one man “took me under his wing” and I felt a little uncomfortable. The man in our group took charge and we got on a mini bus that was ready to depart. The $300 bus ride dropped us off on the road outside the dock where we were greeted with large boats and tons of people getting in. The flat rate of $2000 round trip was standard for the boat and they stuffed us into a big boat which had no regard for boat safety rules (atleast by Canadian standards) where some of our group had to sit on the bottom or on gas cans.

We crossed Kamuni River (which I think is a tributary of the Demerara River) before entering the Pokerero Creek. By the end of the hour and a half boat ride, we had taken so many twists and turns that I didn’t know where we were. Santa Mission is located up the hill from a white sandy beach. The welcoming committee was getting ready to greet the president (though it was the prime minister who came) and we found our PeaceCorps friends. The village had an entire program prepared of local songs, dances and an acrostic poem by the children. The village tashao gave an address, as well as other tashaos representing their villages. The Minister of Amerindian Affairs and Prime Minister finished the first part of the day and every one was invited to watch the official opening of the new school. Food stalls had various types of pepperpot prepared and local drinks like piwari (from cassava) in addition to the usual beer, water and juice were for sale.

My favourite part of the day was relaxing under the shade of a large mango tree and not having any sounds of the city to worry about. I purchased some lovely baskets in the craft benab. The most adventure for the day was arguing with the boat drivers about whether we should have to pay for our “round” trip upfront or just pay for one way at a time – quite the experience! They weren’t going to let us off the boat. We made it safely there and back, minimal sunburn, lots of beautiful pictures and completely exhausted by the fresh air.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Elizabeth, My name is Anne an living in Montreal Canada.could not help reading your blogg,I used to live on Santa Rosa Mission,actually went to school there.The Minister of Amerindian Affairs is my cousin (Mr DeSouza)small world.I know when I wqas was living there everything was different.I had to travel by a ship across the Atlantic Ocean,believe me you would not have liked that.As far I can remember those waves were quite hugh.
Yes those trips can be quite long I remember traveling to Georgetown use to be quite an experience for me.HOw did you like the "Piwari" I have seen lots of people gotten drunk from that(giggle)
When I was leaving North West district I travelled by a small boat got to the head of the river,that is where the "blackwater stops" and transfer to a speedboat so in other words I crossed the Atlantic in a blown-up speed boat.Very, Very horrific.