Sunday, March 16, 2008

Snapshots

St George’s Cathedral is located in the middle of a roundabout. Driving in a taxi, the driver stops, makes the sign of the cross in front of the cathedral and turns into the roundabout.


Meeting Kevin, a boy in the Male Medical Ward with cerebral palsy. Has had no physical rehabilitation, very little speech, doesn’t seem to know we are at his bedside. Starts to respond to talking, handshaking, his eyes start to follow the conversation and he shares with us the most beautiful smile.


“I like your size. I know you may not, but I want you to know that I do.” Followed by a statement that he walks everyday in the National Park and hopes to see me the next day… “Remember this face.” One of my favourite pick up lines because it wasn’t too aggressive – bold, but not aggressive. Just a statement of fact that respects however I may feel about myself, but lets me know that he does find me attractive. Setting the ground work for the following day when I didn’t go to the park anyway.


A little baby girl in the Children’s ward at the hospital. Two months old, lying on her back in the cradle. Content just lying there. The greatest urge to hold her.


Having a meeting with a woman and explaining how the health information system can be used in her specific health care area. Sharing in her excitement when she realizes the amount of information at her fingertips if the system is used properly.


Praying at the bedside of a woman diagnosed with hepatitis and tuberculosis, but still find faith in God to take care of her and make her strong to go home to her baby.


Working in the clinic to get them using the health information system, one step at a time. Taking away the pens, having them type only in the computer and print records. Controlling panic when the system is down for two minutes, something that would not have been noticed before.


Getting goosebumps watching Margaret Lawrence perform in ‘Testament’ – a play based around a book of interviews with cancer survivors. Sensing her fear, feeling her strength to overcome, watching her deny fear its place, defending another woman not strong enough to fight alone…

No comments: