Sunday, March 16, 2008

Adventures with Anu

This is kind of funny because this is the first blog post that I’ve written where I know the subject is probably going to read this post… Hi Anu!! J

Anu is another kindred spirit that I have found in Guyana. She works on the other side of the building, an accountant with PSU. I always thought she had a lovely smile when I went over to PSU to visit and I can’t quite tell you when we started having lunch together, but I am suspicious that it started with a Friday Anu-Navin-Elizabeth lunch from Popeye’s with one of the best chicken sandwiches I’ve ever had (spicy chicken, mayo, dill pickle, lettuce on a bun - amazing).

Really the adventures started when she decided that she was going to take me to the gym. Me? At the gym!?! I trust her. I’d like to be healthier. Not that I’m going to stop eating lunch at German’s anytime soon, but every little bit helps. She does aerobics sometimes, but twice a week she works out with a personal trainer. That was my main problem when I was part of a gym that I didn’t know what I was doing so a personal trainer might be just the thing. Unfortunately I can’t go to the gym without running shoes so, time for some shopping!

We took the minibus to Regent St. I’ve only been on a minibus once before in the fall. The music was so loud, I could feel it vibrating in my bones all afternoon and I had no idea where it was going or when to get off. I was probably just about as lost with where the minibus was going, but I am much more trusting of Anu then my previous tour guide. Our stop on Regent St was to The Discount Store where they unfortunately had no running shoes, but had walls full of sandals and heels – decided I would be returning to this store (side note: went back later and bought a lovely pair of silver heels for about $16, make me about 10ft tall). Back on the minibus to Stabroek Market! I had driven by the market and the red/white clock tower is usually shown on postcards or in tourist pictures. To say I was a bit overwhelmed is a bit of an understatement. Our first stop was a stall outside with a table piled high with every kind of shoe imaginable. I let Anu do all the talking because she knew the Shoe Man. We promptly found a pair of running shoes, my size, perfect fit for G$2000 ($10) which he gave us a discount on! Next stop, in the market Anu needed to pick up some shirts and wanted to show me her family’s jewellery stall. At the back… Anu was lucky – I was pretty close to needing someone to hold my hand so I didn’t get lost. I actually don’t know if I have words to describe the inside. It’s like a flea market packed with stalls. Stalls that reach often two stories high. You can buy anything imaginable at the market – you name it, you could probably find it. Anu wanted to know if I wanted to buy anything besides socks inside, but I was too busy taking in the sights to even think about buying anything!

Back on the minibus to the office. An afternoon of work followed by another minibus ride to Anu’s house. I’m practically a minibus pro. Okay well, not quite – but I am much more comfortable on them. And I know which one I need to take to get home! Anu’s trainer is very good. Not that it takes a lot of physical activity to get me hot and sweaty being so out of shape, but he was very thorough. Had a lovely dinner of delicious homemade squash curry and roti made by Anu’s sister in law. Some day somebody is really going to give me lessons on how to make roti hopefully. Let’s just say for the next couple of days, I had difficulty walking, but it felt good.

Our next adventures took us around trying to find a dress. I feel like I have just as much trouble finding clothes to fit here as at home, plus the added problem only being able to find fancy, sequined dresses, not just a pretty dress. We ended up in the pouring rain on the street with wet shoes. Thankfully it did stop raining and my soggy shoes only fell off once getting out of the minibus. Found a lovely purple dress and perfectly matching jewellery. Also got a lesson in undergarments, but that’s all I’ll say.

2 comments:

Elise said...

YAY!

I know how to make Roti... so yummy... Although mine is still a little tough. But I do make curry chicken and roti on a regular basis... Learnt it from all of those Guyanese women I worked with in Bramton!

BotanicidalIntaglio said...

I tried roti when Satinder invited Priya, Alex and Yeen Ting and I to her house one Sunday for dinner and some downtime. Satinder made roti and channa for all of us and it was so good. :)

But the way she makes it is amazing: she mixes flour and water (and I think that that is it) and then kneads it until uniform, rolls and flattens it into a thin circle and then fries it (I think?) and then places it over a hot burner (on a high metal grill) where the air in side heats up, expands, thus expanding the dough, and then the dough settles down and becomes flat again at the air cools. Amazing. :)