Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas in Guyana

I hadn’t realized how much I associate Christmas with snow until I started hearing Christmas music as I was sweating and seeing Christmas lights in the midst of palm trees. December is the beginning of the rainy season so instead of piles of snow, I’m surrounded by puddles.

I’ve decorated my apartment with Christmas garland and bows, and some candy cane Christmas lights. I have a little itty bitty Christmas tree that is one foot tall surrounded by Christmas cards from home. I love looking around my apartment and how festive it is, and then out my door at the papaya tree (it’s male, doesn’t bear fruit – but still tropical!)

Christmas is a big deal in Guyana. If you don’t live here, it’s the time to come home to be with family. Like any country, they spend money don’t have and charge it until after Christmas, but not just on gifts – everyone gets Christmas outfits, houses get painted, new furniture, the works… The stores are supposed to be crazy in December. The plan was to go shopping in November, but as all good plans go, I still have Christmas shopping to do. Wish me luck in the crowds!

I realized that I may not have shared the good news with all of you – the family is coming down for Christmas!! Mom, Dad and Lesa! Unfortunately Molly can’t make it, but I’m sure she’ll have a wonderful time at the puppy spa. I have a secret plan for their time here which would be ruined if I share it now, so I’ll write about it after they leave. They arrive on the 25th after a full day of traveling and leave on the 2nd. I have them staying at the same hotel that I first stayed at and the staff is looking forward to having them.

Enjoy the snow for me!!

No comments: