Thursday, November 29, 2007

Earthquake?!

So I don't usually like to take time at work to write a blog - mostly at home and then post it the next day.

BUT

There was an earthquake today!! Actually there was an earthquake in Martinique region (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2007kha5.php) at around 3pm. I guess we felt the after shock or some tremors about 10-15 minutes later. The whole building shook! I didn't know what was going on. Obviously the logical option is just to follow everyone as they ran out the building. By the time we got outside, the powerlines were shaking a little bit, but they stopped. We stayed outside for about another 10 minutes and I gave hugs to shaky co-workers.

I remember being pushed on the stairs by someone and thinking that she did not learn in kindergarten about walking out in an orderly fashion. Someone dropped a poster and I thought, well that's a hazard waiting to happen and picked it up - it turns out it was from my office, Maria just ran with it!

Later outside, the girl who pushed me accused me of trying to make her fall because she tripped on the poster that I had picked up. Funny world.

Moral of the story: I'm okay. Kindergarten taught me well. Little shook up, but it makes for a good story!! And now I know what to do if it happens again.

Probably on the list of things you shouldn't tell your mother, but I'll probably call her when I get home in case there is something on the news. According to the Richter scale, an earthquake of 7.4 is a "major earthquake. Can cause serious damage over larger areas." I'll let you know if I hear of anything else in Guyana.

No comments: