Thursday, November 8, 2007

Groceries

As much as I love trying new foods, there is a lot to be said for what is familiar. There is a lot that becomes familiar because it is what is available. I thought I’d share some prices with you (in Canadian dollars and they’re rounded, Guyanese would be a little overwhelming) of some things that I picked up. Most of these are from Nigel’s. It’s one of my favourite places to go. It’s like the Zehr’s among No Frills and bulk food places. It’s small. It’s fresh fruit/veggie section is one side of an aisle – most of it is imported and anything that is local is a few days old (better to buy it at the market). There is a lot of chicken, fish and beef to choose from, but I’ve only bought the chicken so far. Not having an oven cuts down on how to cook things. The Bounty sticker on chicken is a mark of quality. The beef is apparently good but tough so it needs to be cooked accordingly. I’m spoiled rotten for fish and didn’t buy it in Canada so I haven’t bought it here. Dad – I want speckled trout when I come home.

Kraft Dinner $1

Raisin Bran $5/ 20 oz box

Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice $6

Can of baked beans $2

1 Royal Gala apple $1.25

1lb fresh garlic $0.50

Can of Del Monte Veggies $1.25

Can of Del Monte Fruit Salad $2

Chicken breast $6/kg

Parmalat Milk 1L tetrapack $2

Loaf of whole wheat bread $1

Banana pop $0.80/L (like a carbonated banana freezie – I’m in love)

Yoplait yogurt $1.50/170g

Saran wrap $5

Anchor Cheese $12/kg (imported from New Zealand, there’s only one kind of cheese at the store – I bought $1’s worth)

Don’t worry Mom, this is only part of what I ate. If there’s anything you’re interested in knowing the price of, let me know! I might have bought it… or there might be a reason why I didn’t buy it.

Now I know I splurge on things that I like to eat or I know that I will react better with. Got to keep your mind and your body happy. But I do have to draw the line sometimes. On that note, I am asking everyone out to go out. Buy a tub of Ben and Jerry’s icecream. Go home. And eat it with a spoon straight from the tub. It’s your special treat to me – splurge the $6 for a tub and enjoy every bite because I can’t rationalize spending $23 for it. I want it. But not that badly. Yet.

No comments: