Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sending a Package

There is nothing like having a mother's day present examined for illicit materials that will make you feel guilty for having done nothing and increase your frustrations with the system.

I will not mention the courier because it is not entirely their fault, but it was a bit ridiculous. After careful inspection of the contents: a beaded chain and a homemade cross-stitch picture (which is NOT a placemat and no I don't know it's value - my mother will think it's priceless, tell your customs officer that!), I was faced with the following frustrations:


1) Not being allowed to write the to/from addresses out on the packing slip - and then having to spell most of the words out letter by letter anyway... several times... B-A-N-C-.... F-A-R-A-...
2) Almost not accepting the copy of my passport that everybody else accepts as identification - more specifically that the last person at the courier accepted as id without question.
3) Signing my life away stating without a doubt that there were no narcotics or banned material in my package and guaranteeing the contents BUT then not being allowed to seal the envelope.
4) Feeling like that annoying customer when they go and find the operations manager.
5) Having the manager inspect my package again. And indicate that the package will probably be opened again by customs in Guyana and maybe other countries...
6) Having my package held for a day in Georgetown - obviously because I'm a suspicious individual.
7) Having my package held in the States for a day too.
8) Planning a package to be home before Mother's Day but arrives late.

*sigh*

No comments: