Thursday, May 22, 2008

Reflections

I am sitting in the Outpatient Clinic at the New Amsterdam Hospital. This is my second visit to this hospital - the first being October 2, 2007; my second day in Guyana. It seems quite fitting that I should return here as I officially will soon be starting my new role as HIS consultant with the Health Sector Development Unit and the first module to develop under my new title is the Outpatient Module.

It is not quite as overwhelming as my first visit. I am used to the open air concept, understanding that the flow of air helps the air from getting too hot and stale, and is more cost efficient than air conditioning. Though I am still not used to the near freezing temperatures of administrative offices which make me feel like I've stepped out of wood heated house into a cold November morning with frost on the ground. I don't know much about electricity costs, but if they all turned the temperature up a few degrees, I am positive there would be somewhere else that could use the money. The waiting areas still get to me, outpatient less so than emergency where they wait outside on benches covered by a roof. Waiting to be seen or hear word of a loved ones condition. It is very advanced compared to some countries because all services are free. I guess waiting is the price they pay.

I am the only white girl for miles so my position sitting on a bench is drawing some attention. I guess they are more used to me at Georgetown Public Hospital Compound or perhaps I just notice their stares less because I am going somewhere, doing something, not sitting and observing.

I am here to learn about the paper system with the purpose of analyzing it to design the electronic module. The task feels a bit more overwhelming as I sit here staring at the forms I collected, questions I developed and thinking about the system I just learned. I feel like if all the log books in this country were stacked one on top of the other, the pile would reach the moon. Maybe even back. The same with all the charts/cards in filing cabinets...

The module won't be as straightforward as I thought. The forms offer little to no information. all information is in the brain of each clinic doctor or hopefully on some hidden list somewhere... Means more meetings... More traveling by car and boat (hopefully no more 6am departure times)... This certainly has been a crash course in hospital and clinic activities.

Mothers and children have a special place in my heart. I can only imagine the joy of having a new baby or the distress at having a sick child. Perhaps this is why two images from today are stuck in my mind....

The woman holding her sick child, limp in her arms, standing outside the emergency wing, surrounded by family and curious observers, wanting to know when she will be seen, the pleading look in her eyes that I could do nothing about....

The woman, glowing, holding her new baby in her arms, leading the parade of proud family and friends out of the hospital, leading them and taking her baby home...

No comments: