Thursday, October 11, 2007

Still working...

I have spent all of my days since the day touring the hospital and clinics in the CSIH’S PHSG project office. Dr. Fisher left on Friday, Emilia and Dr. Ramotar left early yesterday morning. I’m the last Canadian left!! I have been editing manuals for the HIS for Dr Fisher and started my own, as well as entering data for Emilia into the HR module about staff and the workshops that they have attended. I had forgotten how you can get lost in front of a computer and all of a sudden the day is over. I am working with Open Office which is the open source software (that’s for you Netcorps interns!) or free software version of Microsoft Office. It’s just like Microsoft Office, minus the license fee and I’m having difficulty making clear graphics in my manuals (so I’ve cut them out for now!) Next week I will be working more with MIS, but I am sure that Emilia will have all kinds of plans for me once she is back in Ottawa and knows what I have access to in Georgetown. Dr Fisher is my mentor too so I will touch base with him to review my role.

I met with the Canadian High Commission’s office on Friday. A little bit of a meet and greet followed by a security briefing. They were all very nice and I have their contact information for direct phone calls (and not all the screening) which is nice to have. If anything happens, they’ll know where to find me and how to get me out of the country. They are also going to let me know about any events that they are having with other Canadians.

I work in essentially the CIDA building at Main and Newmarket, Georgetown. It is full of CIDA projects as well as the UNAIDS office. It also houses the PSU or Project Support Unit which is designed to assist all of these projects, either with IT or drivers, all kinds of things. Navin was from PSU. Kala is his boss. The first time I met her, I knew she was a strong, tough woman. I was supposed to meet with her last week, but I finally met with her on Tuesday. I was a little nervous because I didn’t know what to expect, but I have found my Guyana Mom #2. We had our own security debrief, but also talked more about health and personal life in Guyana. I am glad to have another person to add to my Guyana “safety net”. She introduced me to the guys my age in her staff and will introduce me to her daughter who works in alternative medicine.

No comments: