Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Apartment

I never thought that I would be sad to leave a hotel, but the staff at the Eldorado Inn has been amazing. As strange as it may sound, I think I will come back and visit them. They introduced me to so many things and enjoyed teaching me about Guyanese food and places. They were always ready with hellos and smiles in the morning or when I come home. I also broke my first heart in Guyana here – the hotel manager’s three year old son is quite taken with me. The first time we met, he became my shadow and followed me around with a huge grin. He wanted me to go to the barber’s with him and cried and cried when I didn’t go and he thought he wouldn’t see me again. Broke my heart a little bit – I almost went to the barber’s with him! I didn’t think his smile could get any bigger until he saw me again and knew that I had meant it when I said I’d see him later. The last couple of times he believed me when I said I’d be back so now I have to! If you call me ‘aunty’, gaze at me adoringly and talk even though I don’t understand a word, how could I refuse?

Yesterday, I moved into my apartment. I think it’s funny that I was looking for a place in Guelph all to myself and never found it – but now I have it in Guyana! It’s cute. A little on the small side, but I like to think it will be cosy. I live with Denise Boodie (Mrs. Boodie) in a separate apartment at the back of her house. She is very sweet, but also a good business woman. I believe she owns a pest control company. Her handy man Mickey (I’m assuming that’s how it is spelt because that’s how it sounds!) is currently trying to hook up my gas stove top for me (clamp was too small) and came in perfect timing to help me stop the toilet from flooding the bathroom. It’s not my fault! There is an overflow built into the toilet tank that is supposed to connect to a pipe that drains outside, but it doesn’t connect anywhere and just drips on the floor. It was actually pretty exciting when it started working because it meant that I had water! There is only water in the morning and at night, but she is going to get me a pump so that I can have water during the day. My address is: 39 Dadanawa St. Section K Campbelville, Georgetown, Guyana. I am told that this will work as my mailing address. Dadanawa is an Amerindian word and is the name of a place/town in the interior. I’m not quite sure where in Georgetown I am or how to get anywhere yet because every time someone has driven me, they’ve taken a different route, but I think I’ve narrowed it down to a section on the map. Rather centrally located, but I could be wrong. If you feel so inclined, my phone number is 0011-592-225-6911. I don’t have the password yet to dial out, but I’ll ask Mrs. Boodie the next time I see her.

In the “living area”, there is a love seat, two lovely wooden chairs, two end tables and a television. The kitchen is mostly fully equipped as far as dishes/pots/pans go (and they all look new) plus a sink, a gas stove top, a microwave and a little bar fridge (not too little, but still). The bathroom has the essentials, but it is missing a door which will make it interesting if I ever have company. The bedroom has a double bed, night table and a cupboard for clothes. There are random pieces of art everywhere and the curtains are kind of funky. The windows are interesting – the panes themselves open and clothes. They look like blinds? Thankfully there is mesh on the windows which is rare, but I still think that I will need a mosquito net. There is a fan in the bedroom and the living area, but they make me a little nervous that they will fall on me. They just move around hot air too so we are looking into getting an air conditioner installed in the bedroom.

I’ll take pictures soon! Unfortunately my couch isn’t big enough for visitors, but I believe they will always have a room for me at the Eldorado Inn if you’re interested in visiting!

Take care

xoxo

No comments: