Friday, October 26, 2007

" ... of the week"

I just have time for a quick update so I thought I would share what I shall call the "food of the week". Just one aspect of my experiences here, but having had some beautiful watermelon this morning (I took a picture - will share soon), I am inspired by the food I eat.

Fruit of the week: tangerine. Here, they have green peel. And I was a little nervous about them because green to me means not ripe, but I trusted Wallis and bought them AND oh my goodness! SO GOOD! Full of seeds of course so I make a juicy mess but they are very sweet and bright orange inside. The "skin" (is that what it is called?) is thick, almost like a large orange, but the pulp is definitely soft like a tangerine.

Dish of the week: channa. It's made of chickpeas. I had the "soft version" so it is boiled (not fried) and then I think baked with garlic and onion and other spices... Oh so good... Very flavourful, good source of protein and very little fat. Samuel had his mom make me a different version so I will try that this weekend.

Restaurant of the week: Roti Hut. They have everything. It's where I had the channa with fried plantain (which is like a banana met a potato, so looks like a banana, but starchy carb like a potato) and greens (very expensive, mostly cabbage and not very green at all - vegetables are rare when eating out). It is kind of like a buffet with all the dishes out in front and you just tell them what you want. They have traditional Guyanese foods (like the channa, and so many different kinds of curry), but they also had Shepherd's pie and macaroni & cheese. I know where to go when I am craving some comfort food! It was kind of neat when Maria started to explain what Shepherd's pie was to me - they usually do with most dishes, but I told her that I might have had it before. Nobody makes it like my mom though! Roti Hut also has a bakery and a mini grocery with it.

Juice of the week: guava. It's just good. But, cherry juice is still winning for my favourite juice. Ever.

Work and "extras" update in progress... Probably Monday? Have a great weekend! Take care.

No comments: