Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fire in the Psych Ward, Dead Bird in the Cage

It sounds like the title for a mystery novel or an episode of a crime/drama series, but it's what happened in the early hours of this morning at the Georgetown Public Hospital Compound... and the surprise that awaited me at home at the end of the day.

I don't work in the Psych Ward, but I do work in the TB Chest Clinic - to visualize the Chest Clinic runs parallel to Middle St within the compound and the Psych Ward is perpindicular to the Chest Clinic, running parallel to Thomas St which intersects Middle St. The two buildings actually used to be one 'L' shaped building before a small space was created between the two. The Psych Ward consisted of a male and female psych ward, with the Medical Outpatient Department located in between.

I arrived after my morning walk to the hospital to be greeted by a crowd outside the gate to the compound. Some of the work study students were gathered outside and weren't sure what was going on, but the guard wasn't letting them in. I went to talk to the guard who wasn't going to let me in and told me there had been a fire at the Chest Clinic - at which point, I must have looked very upset because I wanted to know where in the Chest Clinic and if everybody was okay. I think at that point she remembered me and was like, oh, you work there, come in. I looked at the clinic and what I could see was fine, but then when I walked around the corner, I saw the smoldering remains of the Psych Ward, still smoking, still being soaked with water...

There is something about a fire and the destruction that it leaves behind. I was quite shaken. Nobody could confirm whether or not anybody had died and we all seemed drawn just to stand and watch the smoking remains. The Minister of Health was surveying the site - understandably not his usual upbeat self.

About forty five minutes later, we opened the Chest Clinic. I was so proud of the TB patients that had come despite the fire and waited for their daily DOTS treatment - they are the patients that really understand the importance of taking their treatment.

Though the outside wall at one end of the clinic had experienced some fire scarring, the fire had been stopped by the quick action of firefighters (as directed by the clinic director) to wet the building- and by the still morning which allowed the fire to burn straight up instead of spreading to another building. The damage within clinic was isolated to water damage of those chest x-ray envelopes. Luckily the work study students were allowed into the compound and under the direction of some nurses and along with some other health workers, went to work, drying off the x-rays and putting them in new envelopes.

No patients were seen at the clinic - many had heard about the fire as it was covered almost as it started on one of the local channels. And like a small town, word travels fast in Georgetown, well, in Guyana. There was no power or water at the clinic so I borrowed a PSU laptop and worked at my home away from home, Oasis cafe rather productively.

It was a bit of a rough start to the day and though I am pleased with the amount of work I got through without distraction, things didn't get any better when I went home. I had been looking after a pair of lovebirds for a friend and came home to find the female, dead at the bottom of the cage. It's probably been one of my greatest fears with my own pets and looking after someone else's. Looking back I can think of nothing that would have raised alarm that something was wrong with her. The man who helps out in the yard helped me find a place for her body. He seems to be doing alright -

It's incredibly sad, a lonely single lovebird. The worst was when he started to get sleepy and went up to the ring that they used to snuggle in together - and couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep in because he used to snuggle into her neck. We'll be okay- he's eating, drinking and talking. We have each other! Will hopefully be able to pick up a new mate for him soon... no lovebird should spend too much time alone.

One of those days when you need a hug....

No comments: