Friday, July 11, 2008

The continuing saga of my feet in a tropical country...

You'd think I'd learn my lesson and not walk around barefoot. You'd think that having hookworm was enough of a lesson that I'd never take my shoes off. And you'd think wrong...

Actually it might not have been my fault. It could have just been a dusty situation. Or it could have been me walking carelessly without shoes on... again... why aren't my feet tougher?!

Not so bad this time, don't worry. Just a chiggar bite. Which from my understanding, the flea-thing kind of burrowed in and laid some eggs, creating a capsule. I like to think that the capsule was created by my body to keep the creature contained. The pain came when it wanted to be bigger than the capsule. The chiggar itself is really really small. And I am obviously an atypical case with only one bite and no itching, just pain. Luckily I have a handy doctor friend, Abiot, who takes good care of me and performed surgery on my apartment patio with a sterile needle, various contents of my first aid kit and a Heineken to hydrate himself.

The hole in my foot is healing nicely and I will remember this... and the hookworm... the next time I think about walking anywhere barefoot...

Yes, my feet will probably need counseling and severe pampering when they go home. They have experienced a couple of nightmares and are very nervous about new things or anything touching them.

And as always, photo journal available for anyone who is interested.

No comments: