Sunday, June 8, 2008

New Apartment

I'm trading in my new "oasis" this afternoon for my traditional Oasis (http://www.oasiscafegy.com/). After several months of inconsistent water control (required to turn on a pump to have water come out of tap - pump and switch broken at different times), the breaking point was three weeks with no pump switch and no attempt being made to fix it. A call to one of my Guyana moms and I had a new apartment practically the next day!

It's a bit smaller than the other apartment, but it feels cosier, brighter and quieter. The window design also allows for a lovely cross breeze so it feels cooler! (even without a/c) The apartment itself is in kind of a compound with the landlady's house and a building with two other apartments. I have a cute little patio and access to a beautiful backyard.

Some highlights include:
- running water
- running water that with the flick of a switch can be "hot" running water!
- door on the bathroom
- almost full size fridge that might be able to hold icecream
- itty bitty stove
- walking distance to work (Saves $20/week taxi)
- fresh fruit stand around the corner
- neighbours

I am a bit sad that my itty bitty TV doesn't connect with the DVD player that I borrowed - needed: movie buddy.

I love Mrs Boody, but currently unimpressed after our last phone call and being accused of breaking and stealing things. Sorry, I didn't mention that the microwave was tempermental - it was low on my scale of concern when I didn't have WATER! *sigh*

I don't know how old my landlady is, but she is very cute - also very sharp. She walks slowly and I like to think she takes every step with purpose - she just seems like that kind of woman. I have felt very welcomed by her and my new neighbour. I feel more relaxed and happy when I come home now - one of those things you don't notice until you are in a new setting.

I sat yesterday afternoon writing a letter to my grandma on my new porch... listening to the birds... enjoying the breeze that was bringing the rain clouds in... watching a hummingbird eat and relax on a branch. Seriously.

1 comment:

Grey Eyed Girl said...

Yay for water!!!!
Boo to being accused of things- thats LAME Mrs.Boody. I mean, like seriously. Your new place seems like an absolute OASIS for sure!!!
Much love.