Monday, January 28, 2008

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

I think my first introduction to the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics of Tim Rice for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat was on a dubbed tape that my mom had. I don’t think I understood the words or that the songs wove a story, but I love the variety of music that pulled my heart strings or made me feel like dancing.

I can’t remember how old I was when I saw Joseph performed in Toronto with Donny Osmond in the lead, but I do remember my mom swooning because she was certain that he was singing straight to her. The production was spectacular with lights, set and costumes.

I was so proud of the performers in the performance of Joseph at the Senior El with my Adam in the lead as Joseph. It was a big step for him to again take the lead, plus seeing some of the students I have known since they were little, discovering the amazing inner talents.

There is now a special place in my heart for the performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, done by the Woodside Choir and friends in Georgetown, Guyana at the National Cultural Centre. I have no excuse for why this post was not up last week when I first saw the performance, but here it is now! I didn’t quite know what to expect, but I had my hopes since the musical was originally performed after Christmas and was brought back for one more weekend due to popular demand. I was not disappointed.

I feel the Cultural Centre was probably built in the 1970s with a lovely brown interior, fortunately air conditioned and a dress code including no jeans that is apparently strictly enforced. I knew that it was going to be a good night the second the Narrator started singing – a tremendously powerful voice that showed no hesitation hitting the high soprano notes that her role required. I was a little worried at first when I saw Joseph and he looked to be just a boy, but his beautiful tenor voice assured me that he was up for the part and he definitely impressed me. In total, I think the supporting cast was approximately 20 adults, 15 children (5 of whom were dancers for Joseph’s dreams) and an additional supporting choir of 10, with many cast members playing more than one role.. The sound system itself left a little to be desired at times, but did not hide the talent of the cast. I am left with no doubt in my mind that Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat was meant to be accompanied by a steel band, though the keyboard and trombone were a nice touch. The set was simple, but did the job well and the effort put into the costumes was obvious. The only disappointments I had were the low-energy performance of Go, Go Joseph that could have had more excitement even in a low budget production and the non-Elvis Pharoah, who unto himself is a very gifted man, but there’s nothing quite like an Elvis impersonator.

Although less spectacular than a downtown Toronto musical and no personal connections like a Bancroft performance, I felt inspired by the Guyanese performance of Joseph and I really hope that the director, cast and choir continue to perform for the people in Guyana. Here’s hoping they have another performance of something before I leave!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

One of the most definining moments of that entire show in TO at Roy Thompson was your mother and Pat Flagler turning into teenage girls around Donny Osmond. And I do remember Go Go Jospeh being particularly energetic, so that's kind of a drag. BUT, the steel band! Did you record any of it? I would love to hear it, I love drumming! I am horrible, but maybe that's why I idolize it so much. How's work going? Any interesting projects or jobs lined up? What are your plans when you get back? Summer in Bancroft? ttyl!

Elizabeth said...

It's the part that I remember the most. My mom grabbing my arm, "he's singing to me"! I forgot about Pat. lol. I guess he just doesn't have the same appeal for us! I didn't record any of it. Usually you can't bring a camera to a performance, but when I got there, there was no warnings against it so I guess I could have...

Work is going well. Currently working at a clinic trying to get them to use the system in real time so it's nice to be out of the office and hands on. No plans for when I get back, though I am trying to get some applications organized and I really should talk to my references :S

I don't think I could do a summer in Bancroft. eek!